A Church is mentioned in Domesday, and was the property of three Saxon Lords. The tower is the oldest part of the church, the bottom two sections being late 11th or early 12th century, and extended in the 14th century. The nave south arcade is 13th century and the nave north arcade is 14th century. The porch is 13th century, the chancel is 14th century and the clerestory is 15th century.
The church is quarried out of Permian magnesian limestone, which is of excellent quality and was restored in 1872 and a much thorough restoration followed in 1877.
There several interesting features, a few examples being two tombs one to the Jackson family and another in memory of George Parnell and Mary Newton.
In the church there is a cartouche to the memory of John Rolleston.
There are some fine examples of stained glass in the church. The six light east window being in memory of Richard FitzHerbert, and the three light window on the vestry side of the chancel being to Richard John King, both rectors in this parish. In the south nave there is memorial window to Watson and Wardley. There is also some old stained glass in the vestry. The newest piece is the Millennium Window that was designed by Sallie Wood, a local designer and member of the congregation. The window was made and installed by Mick Stokes.
There is also a new altar that was manufactured by William Wright, a local craftsman and member of the congregation.
Through the Bishops’ Walk gate, there is the Parish Centre, which is affiliated to the church, and can be hired out for social events etc. It was originally Old Church Farm, Warsop (13th century). It was restored in the incumbency of the Rev D Leaning, and was officially opened by Mrs D H FitzHerbert. The centre was dedicated and blessed by the Rt Rev J D Wakeling, the then Bishop of Southwell